"Delhi Belly"& more from CBI ROUNDUP

Barry A. Popik Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 14 08:26:57 UTC 1999

     I took a trip to Washington, DC on Thursday.  BASEBALLOGY by Edmund
Vance ("hizzoner") was missing.  (WHY COULDN'T THEY NOTE THAT ON THE
ELECTRONIC CATALOG?)  Several real estate books ("location, location,
location") were also missing.
     I requested the CBI ROUNDUP (China-Burma-India, published 1942-1944/5),
but no volumes were on the shelf.  There was no helpful information on my
call slip, but only later, after checking Eureka, did I get another call
number--it was on microfilm.  CBI ROUNDUP didn't work, but C.B.I. ROUNDUP did.

DELHI BELLY

     C.B.I. ROUNDUP, 17 December 1942, pg. 10 cols. 1-2 headline:  WILL
ELEPHANT "DELHI-BELLY" RUN FLIERS TO HIGHER GROUND?
     The RHHDAS has "Delhi belly" from 28 February 1944.  The CBI article
continues:

     Every day a big elephant strolls non-chalantly through our area.
(Continued in col. 2--ed.)  Incidentally, if this elephant heretofore
mentioned ever turns up with the G.I.s which you front office cuties so
crudely call Delhi belly, we'll probably have to move our camp to higher
ground.  In the event this takes place, I'd suggest the Ozark mountains.
Naturally...

---------------------------------------------SNOW JOB (continued)

    This is from the C.B.I. ROUNDUP, 25 March 1943, "MISTAKES THAT PASS IN
THE NIGHT AT AN INDIA AIR BASE," pg. 8, col. 5:

     We wonder if Associated Press War Correspondent Bill McGaffin, who flew
with us on one of our bombing missions and then gave us quite a bit of
publicity back home, told his interested audiences about his "snow job."  It
seems that the misguided adventurer mistook the wide spray nozzle of the fire
extinguishers for the relief tube--and as you can guess, the results were
extraordinary.

"PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION"

    From the C.B.I. ROUNDUP, 12 November 1942, pg. 2, col. 4:

_"Praise the Lord_
_And Pass The_
_Ammunition" Denied_
     New York--Captain William McGuire, veteran Naval chaplain, doubted that
he ever said: "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition"--a phrase accredited
to him in the popular song now sweeping the country.
     The chaplain denied emphatically that he had manned a gun at Pearl
Harbor.
     Meanwhile Lieutenant Howell M. Forgy, a chaplain on one of the heavy
cruisers in the Pacific, said he had made up the line to encourage the men
who were passing ammunition from the dock side to the ships during the attack.

CASEY AT THE BAT (continued)

    FWIW, this is from the C.B.I. ROUNDUP, 18 February 1943, pg. 8, cols. 2-4:

_DEATH CLAIMS ORIGINAL "CASEY AT THE BAT"_
     WASHINGTON--Daniel M. Casey, 80, original of the famous poem "Casey at
the Bat," by Philadelphia Sportswriter Ernest Thayer, died here.
     Casey, a pitcher, entered professional baseball with the Wilmington
Eastern League in 1884.  He reached Philadelphia in 1887, winning 38, losing
12 and tieing (sic) two.  His immortalized strike-out occurred when he was
batting for the Phillies against the Giants in the same year.
     Thayer cast Casey in the hero role because he broke up the game with
Boston the previous week with a homer.  But Casey wasn't really a slugger at
all--his lifetime batting average was under .200.