Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Fri May 14 21:49:12 UTC 1999

Bob Haas wrote:

> So there I was, calmly attempting the NY Times crossword in the Rhino
> Times, living dangerously, doing the puzzle in ink, and I come across
> the term "hypnologist."  What the hey?  Does anyone know what this is?
> It's not in the American Heritage, and it's not to be found at Mirriam
> Websters online.  I must know!!!

But it is in Roget's Thesaurus, under "inactivity":


And the school of Natural Health Sciences in London offers a diploma in
Hypnology, the study of hypnotism:


The Roget's entry makes it seem like it's more the study of sleep (since
it's in the 'sleep' paragraph).



M. Lynne Murphy
Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Department of English
Baylor University
PO Box 97404
Waco, TX 76798

More information about the Ads-l mailing list