Golden Rule

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Tue May 18 13:06:08 UTC 1999

The earliest use of that phrase we have (note: our database isn't complete
yet. It only goes back to the early 70's at the moment) is below. The
phrase occurs in 8 other articles as well.

September 30, 1981, CALIFORNIA PROPERTY TAX CUT STARTING TO HAVE BIG
       EFFECT. By ROBERT LINDSEY, Special to the New York Times

By depriving local government and public schools of the property tax,
historically their main
source of revenue, the proposition shifted enormous amounts of political
power from local
communities to the State Legislature in Sacramento. As Mr. Cory, the
Controller put it, ''He
who has the gold makes the rules.''

Kathleen E. Miller
Language Library