Fwd: Freak as 1960s/1970s Term

Russ McClay mcclay at PROQC.COM
Tue May 18 16:49:53 UTC 1999

Grant Barrett wrote:

> In the 1960s and early 1970s the meanings and use of the term "freak" proliferated. I am attempting to chart an anatomy of that term and would appreciate any suggestions for its appearance in literature, popular culture, or social/political texts of this period.

According to my experience:

Very common during the '70's in Southern California (beach areas).
Freak usually meant a hippy or a hip person in the positive sense.

"There are some cool freaks hanging out down there."

"Oh, Tim?  He's a real freak."

Also very common: Jesus Freaks ("born-again Christians").

"There's two Jesus freaks preaching on the pier."

Blacks had Super Freaks.

Laymanly yours,
Russ