Y2K/FUD

Brian Good bkgood at PACBELL.NET
Thu May 20 01:10:17 UTC 1999

Y2K is very commonly used as a standalone in the computer industry.  No
doubt across the land there are numerous whiteboards with "Y2K" scrawled
upon them as a meeting agenda item.

"FUD", or "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt", is a term that is coming into
more frequent use in the computer industry.  I wouldn't be surprised to
see this term in the mainstream soon.  It appears to have originated in
the Open Source community, although there may be a prior origin that I'm
not aware of.  Briefly, there is a movement of engineers and interested
parties who believe strongly in the benefits of "open source" software,
in which the code is contributed freely by programmers who volunteer
their time.  Linux is a popular operating system based on open source.
Those who promote Linux warn that large corporations will try to use
"FUD" arguments to discredit its viability to customers.  For example,
"Will you have anyone to go to for support when your Linux system
crashes?" is a FUD argument.  I've seen this adjective adopted at my
company to refer to issues that have nothing to do with Open Source per
se.

The famous article "The Cathedral and the Bazaar," by Eric Raymond,
available at
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/index.html
is often cited as the source of this term.

Brian