Swiss cheese

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Mon Nov 1 18:03:40 UTC 1999

Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
> >... except for the imported Swiss cheese, which as we know is not
> >  really called Swiss cheese but Emmenthaler.
> What about Gruyere??

The point being that what we generally term "Swiss cheese" in the States (the
semi-soft cheese with the holes in it) is Emmenthaler.

Certainly Gruyere is Swiss, but if you said to someone at a deli in the States,
"I want a ham and Swiss on rye with spicy mustard" they're likely not going to
come back with, "Emmenthaler, Gruyere, or Raclette?"


More information about the Ads-l mailing list