hokey-pokey

No Name Available P2052 at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 4 02:12:56 UTC 1999

In the community where I grew up in a small steel town in the suburbs of
Birmingham, AL, all the children used to play a game called the "hokey pokey,
" the words of which were as follows:
            "You put your right foot in,
              You take your right foot out,
              You put your right foot in,
               And you shake it all about,
               Do the hokey pokey,
               And you turn yourself around,
               That''s what it's all about,
               Hokey pokey!"
Then, we'd chant the same tune, and do the accompanying movements,
substituting "left foot," "right hand," "left hand," and other body parts.

I don't recall anybody's using the phrase, "hokey kokey."  Besides, I think
it would have been a bit difficult for most of the children to enunciate at
that age (6-10) and at that tempo.
                    PAT