Christian suggestion

G S C gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Mon Nov 8 00:26:18 UTC 1999

Merely a note.  In a capstone business policy course that I teach,
students have to analyze and present case studies about organizations,
usually business organizations.  Some of the available cases contain
some sort of a statement from a prominent person in the organization, to
the end that "we believe in Christian principles" or "we follow a
Christian approach".

>From experience, I know that if I use such a case study, the presenting
group will make an opening statement of the type:  "Since it is a
Christian organization (or, since the CEO is a Christian), we know that
it is an ethical organization.  We have no reason to doubt the
statements of the CEO."  I usually ask if they would identify the
specific set of Christian principles employed by the organization, and
what those principles have to say about profit-making, the treatment of
employees, and whatever.

Basically, the students use the equation:  Christian = all things
good/ethical.  For that matter, I don't care what religious group they
put into the equation, or whatever other group.  I want them to look at
actions, not labels, unless the organization's selection of labels is a
clue, perhaps the only clue, to the understanding of certain other
actions.

I grew up in a family that practiced meatless Fridays, and attended a
conservative Methodist church on Sundays (a bi-religious experience).
Absolutely no faith was permitted to be criticized in my family, but
discussion was allowed.  Thinking back on it, the religious practices of
my many relatives covered all of the Christian religious groups which
have been recently discussed on this list.  When I ask my students what
specific set of principles their study organization is following, I have
solid reasons for doing so.

George S. Cole   gscole at ark.ship.edu
Shippensburg University