the last additions to whiting

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Mon Nov 8 23:18:45 UTC 1999

This is the last installment of the stuff from my notes in the shape
of proverbs, catchphrases, common expressions, and either not in
B. J. Whiting's various books of such material, or antedating his
earliest record.

1847:   as the showman says, "you pays your money and you takes your
choice"
        Sunday Times and Noah's Weekly Messenger, June 27, 1847, p. 2, col.
3; also ST&NWM, July 18, 1847, p. 2, col. 6

not in DAE; nor Whiting, EAPPP; Taylor & Whiting: 1869 (Money, #11);
OED?

1821:   [fashionable dress] generally fits them after the manner of a
"purser's shirt upon a handspike!"
        Pierce Egan, Life in London, N. Y.: Appleton, 1904, p. 244.  (Bk 2,
ch. 5)   [This of course in an English source; first publ. 1821.]

1835:   [a man] whose coat fit him like "a purser's shirt on a handspike" . . .
        Morning Herald, July 23, 1835, p. 2, col. 4

not in Whiting, EAPPP; Taylor & Whiting; nor Whiting, MPPP

1933:   Did you ever drink watermelon buck?  Well, take mah tip, Son, and
don't.  That's the stuff that makes a rabbit look for a dawg.
        Cornelius W. Willemse, A Cop Remembers, N. Y.: E. P. Dutton, 1933,
p. 139.  [Watermelon buck is a drink made from fermented watermelon
juice; sounds ghastly.  The author is attempting to represent AAVE
speech.]

not in Taylor & Whiting; nor Whiting, MPPS

1823:   [Richard] Brown [sentenced to 10 years] said "he did not complain
he had 9 years the full run of the rope."
        National Advocate, December 16, 1823, p. 2, col. 4

not in Whiting, EAPPP; nor Taylor & Whiting

1933:   Every station house had its pet animals.  Dogs and cats were
the usual run of shad. . . .
        Cornelius W. Willemse, A Cop Remembers, N. Y.: E. P. Dutton, 1933, p. 75.

not in Taylor & Whiting; Whiting, MPPS; nor DAE (this figurative
sense); OED?  [I think I recall my mother using this expression, in a
disparaging sense: "Isn't that a nice run of shad", for instance.]

1824:   Got in York safe as a bee in a bucket.
        Simon Snipe, The Sports of New York.  N. Y., 1824, p. 3.

not in Whiting, EAPPP; nor Taylor & Whiting (bee, bucket, safe)

1837:   [The Irishman] was only gammoning the auctioneer, and pitching
into him like a thousand of brick.
        New York Times, August 18, 1837, p. 2, col. 7

1842:   Let me hear any more of you, and I'll walk into you like a thousand of brick.
        The Flash, Vol. 1, #4 (July 10, 1842) p. 1, cols. 2-3

Whiting, EAPPP; Taylor & Whiting: 1840.  [Three years isn't much of
an antedating, I admit; so sue me.]

1847:   Geo. H. Fielding, being "three shillings short of any change," undertook
to replenish his pockets by robbing his own mother.
        New York Daily Tribune, January 29, 1847, p. 4. col. 1

not in Taylor & Whiting

1821:   Tickle me Billy, and I'll tickle you.  [headline, referring to mutual flattery]
        Commercial Advertiser, March 16, 1821, p. 2, col. 2

1825:   Tickle me Billy, do, do, do
                And in my turn I'll tickle you.
        New-York National Advocate, May 27, 1825, p. 2, col. 3

1842:   tickle me and I'll tickle you
        The Rake, #4, July 9, 1842, p. 2, col. 2.  In NYC Archives, NYC District
Attorney's files, box 410, folder for July 14, 1842

not in Whiting, EAPPP; Taylor & Whiting; nor Partridge's Catchphrases

GAT