Belated reply re: "the" wife

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Tue Nov 9 00:38:26 UTC 1999

Hi Bob (couldn't resist, take a drink),

I would agree that "in college" is a state along the same lines as "in the
hospital".  The many professors on this list may be "at the college", but I
suspect few of them are "in college".  Then again, they can't be "at college"
either, because you can only be "at college" when you're "in college".

Or is this just me?

Reminds me of some list of college student terms I remember reading awhile
back.  The term that got me was "home home", which means where one's family
lives, as opposed to one's dorm room or apartment.

Andrea