Christian suggestion

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Nov 9 02:22:53 UTC 1999

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> "A. Maberry" wrote:The case of Islam is exactly the same as that of
> Christianity. No one is
>
> > born a Muslim, only of parents who are Muslim. And, unlike the case of
> > Judaism, both "Muslim" and "Christian" imply absolutely no ethnic
> > identity.
> >

> An ex of mine was a Lutheran of German-Norwegian (Illinois-N. Dakota) stock,
> who, whenever she saw a Jello salad would gesture boldly and exclaim "Behold!
> The food of my people!"  This joke got started because of the ubiquitous jello
> salads at Lutheran "covered dish" (i.e., potluck) suppers in that part of the
> country.  So, perhaps one can be a little bit culturally Lutheran, if not
> ethnically so.

I am myself a mostly "German-Norwegian" and more or less of a Lutheran by
training (mostly less), but since I grew up in the Pacific Northwest I
missed out on virtually all of the "Lutheran culture". I associate jello
salads with the midwest generally not specifically Lutherans. I would
imagine Methodist picnics with plenty of "hot dishes and jello salads."
However I *have* heard Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup refered to
as "Lutheran binder" for cooking purposes.

Allen
maberry at u.washington.edu
who has learned more about Lutheran
culture and Lutherans from Garrison