NADS gaffes

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 9 19:45:11 UTC 1999

<<  would it be so difficult to print the newsletter in a font
containing at least the more usual phonetic symbols? >>

That was another production error that wasn't caught. The newsletter was
delivered in electronic form to the printer, with an IPA font which somehow
the printer didn't pick up.

Furthermore, for some reason the pdf version available at the ADS website
also did not pick up the IPA characters. I just now tried to correct that,
without success. Will try again.

I'm embarrassed to admit that even the DARE queries are the wrong ones -
repeated from the January issue rather than the new ones DARE editors had
sent. You'll find the correct new queries at
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/NADS999.htm

No excuses, but I promise careful quality control next time.

- Allan Metcalf

- Allan Metcalf