some queries

Thu Nov 11 21:19:16 UTC 1999

Be aware, though, that some of the works cited below on AppEng are not
scholarly and may in fact only perpetuate myths and stereotypes about the
dialect.  I'm thinking specifically about Dial and Williams; I don't know
about Kephart and Higgs & Manning, but I'd be suspicious.  Literary dialect
has to be viewed carefully too, of course, to distinguish authentic
representations from eye-dialect or stereotyped forms (which could, of
course, be legitimately studied in their own right).  (Sorry, Stephanie; I
don't have your e-dress, or I'd respond personally!)