Chick

Fri Nov 12 19:52:39 UTC 1999

The women, and thankfully men, who are surprised or take offense at the
term know of the long history of trying to get rid of animal-based terms
for women (far fewer animal words are used for men).   So now they're
coming back!  What kind of connotation does 'chick' have for you--little,
soft, cute, fluffy, playful, high-peeped, to be cuddled in the palm of the
hand?  Is this how you want to be viewed?  And, maybe more importantly, do
only your female friends use this term (mutually, I assume), or do your
male friends use it too--non-mutually, I assume?  Or do you call young
males 'chicks' also?