Chick

Amy Speed speed at PARADIGMTECH.COM
Fri Nov 12 21:41:54 UTC 1999

I am beginning to feel that I will always be called "girl," rather than
"woman." Even at my job, women are often referred to as girls. While I don't
find it offensive, I am beginning to wonder what it takes to be called a
woman. As a backlash, I find myself sometimes referring to men as boys.
Which is not always an inaccuracy.

>At 01:15 PM 11/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>It seems to me that the word "chick" is regaining popularity, especially
>>among young females. I would be insulted if a colleague called me Chick,
but
>>I would tolerate it from a friend. Perhaps it is an attitude among women
>>that we can call ourselves whatever we like. The popular country music
group
>>Dixie Chicks, for example, picked their own name and even have chick feet
>>tattooed on their feet. Their web site (www.dixiechicks.com) says, "The
>>Dixie Chicks came out of the chute with enough sass and confidence to
adopt
>>slogans like 'Chicks Rule' and 'Chicks Kick Ass.'" Whether the Dixie
Chicks