All Caps Radio, TV Copy

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Tue Nov 16 23:58:38 UTC 1999

As I understood it from my short time in radio, the all caps was a hold-over from
teletype machines: all they printed was capital letters. My guess is that the
easier-to-read justifications came later.

I only believe the easier-to-read mumbo jumbo on two levels: all caps requires the
reader to pay more attention and thus may not mis-read words that have the same shape;
and typewriters were typically limited to 10 or 12 point type, 12 point all caps was
as big as the words could get. All theory, of course.

--
Grant Barrett

http://www.worldnewyork.com/