"off the chain"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 18 11:08:30 UTC 1999

"Off the chain" like its recent predecessors, "off the
hook" and "da bomb," is an African American innovation
meaning great, fantastic, wonderful, extremely
exciting.

--- Becca Greenhill <LilacRaven at AOL.COM> wrote:
> Recently, I was told that I was "off the chain."  I
> believe it was a
> compliment.  Can anyone help me understand the
> meaning/origin of this phrase?
>  I wonder if the meaning is something close to that
> of "off the wall."  In
> that case, maybe it wasn't a compliment.  Any
> thoughts?
>
> Becca

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Associate Professor,English & Linguistics
Department of English
Hampton University
Hampton, VA 23668
Office: (757) 727-5437