off the chain

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Thu Nov 18 13:18:31 UTC 1999

On Wednesday, November 17, 1999, Becca Greenhill <LilacRaven at AOL.COM> wrote:
>Recently, I was told that I was "off the chain."  I believe it was a
>compliment.  Can anyone help me understand the meaning/origin of this phrase?
> I wonder if the meaning is something close to that of "off the wall."  In
>that case, maybe it wasn't a compliment.  Any thoughts?
>
>Becca

Pure guessing: maybe a relation to the chain attached to the large orange
exclamation mark in the sidelines of American football that measures whether a play has put the
ball into first down territory?

I wonder if we searched transcripts of football play-by-play we'd find this usage,
and more.

--
Grant Barrett

http://www.worldnewyork.com/