An ADS evaluation of dialects in movies?

Nancy Carol Elliott elliottn at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Nov 19 14:41:47 UTC 1999

I'm just finishing my dissertation on the subject of rhoticity in American
film speech from the 30's to the 70's. I collected data on about 50
subjects per decade (4-year period in a decade's midpoint) and got a
decade average from each subject's percentage of r-lessness. The decade
average decreases steadily from the 30's to the 70's (59 -> 43 -> 33 -> 22
-> 7), with interesting differences between female and male subjects.

(Correction: Ray Milland's r-less rate is 92, not 98. And John Wayne's,
incidentally, is 4.)

Nancy Elliott