An ADS evaluation of dialects in movies?

Fri Nov 19 18:54:35 UTC 1999

I gather you looked not only at "outsiders" playing Americans (and vice
versa?) but also at Americans representing Americans.  Apparently you
correlated degree of r-lessness with both the region/locale of the film
plot and the  regional origin of the character in question?  Did you also
consider social class, education, and age?  (You considered gender, as you
note.)  The steady decline from 1930 to 1970 would go along with Labov's
findings on post-WWII New York (for some classes); but what about Boston or
Deep South settings?  Ray Milland could play a prototypical middle-class
New Yorker of our parents' or grandparents' generation; Kevin Spacey of
"Midnight in..." represents a younger but upper class Southerner
(post-'70s, of course).  And John Wayne's 4% r-lessness would be reasonable
in light of Hartman's (19??) suggestion of semi-r-lessness in the Southwest
(Wayne's cowboy country).  Only 3 American "authentics" (my term) seems low
to me.  But I'm assuming you looked at all these sociolinguistic
factors!  Where did you do the dissertation?