An ADS evaluation of dialects in movies?

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Nov 20 21:25:11 UTC 1999

Dennis,

I suppose I am a lay person, since my specialty is not linguistics, but rather
renaissance and restoration drama with a minor in comp/rhetoric.  I do,
however, follow the proceedings on the list with a fair amount of excitement
and enthusiasm and am a little disappointed by your answer that seems to say
that your work is too complex for us to handle.

At the same time, I realize that theoretically-heavy material--by its very
nature--is too difficult to reduce to a one-page precis, but could you give us
some brief idea of what you base this revisionist (that's a loaded word, I
know, but I simply mean that you're proposing a rather new look at something
that's fairly entrenched) conceptualization of the antebellum southern accent?
If not, is there someone else out there that can inform the list of this
phenomenon?

I also realize that many members of the list might be facing a couple--if not
more--stacks of papers to grade before the final holiday rush, but this topic
seems to be a very good opportunity to explore linguistics and accent beyond
many of our typical (but fun, and let's not stop them) discussions of "pop" vs.
"soda."

Thanks for the time.

Bob, not Brittany