Pitza (continued)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 22 15:52:13 UTC 1999

At 6:57 PM -0500 11/21/99, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>PITZA (continued)
>
>   A Dow Jones check shows that Newsday, 3-23-1990, cites a Brooklyn
>restaurant called Moustache Mideastern Pitza, 405 Atlantic Avenue, Boerum
>Hill, (718) 852-5555.
>   The Atlanta Journal and Constitution (1997) and the Des Moines Register
>(1998) also show restaurants that serve "pitza," but "pitza" appears to
>come straight outta Brooklyn.

What's interesting is that this is a vacuous blend in the spoken language,
given the homophony of "pitza" and "pizza".  At least "hybread" is a real,
God-fearing blend phonologically as well as orthographically.  Any other
examples of a pre-neutralized blend?  (I suppose someone could invent a
"sand-witch", made with real sand, but the market would appear limited.)

Larry