intransitive "making"

Sun Nov 28 13:12:37 UTC 1999

Benjamin,

You are looking for the word "ergative."

We baked the cookies in the oven.
The cookies baked in the oven.

As opposed to "real" transitives:

We ate the cookies in the kitchen.
*The cookies ate in the theater.

Note, however, that ergatives and transitives can both passivize, that
operation sometimes falsely suggested as a test for transitives.

So, if you reclassify (by analogy) "make" as an ergative (on the model of
"bake"), you've got it made.

dInIs

>FWIW, this sounds like a special usage for some verbs like bake:
>
>(1) The cookies are baking.
>
>I don't remember what this is called, but I think it's an intransitive usage
>of certain transitive verbs.
>
>To me, at least, this sentence does *not* seem intransitive, it seems closer
>to being a transformation of
>
>(2) The cookies are being baked.
>
>Benjamin Barrett
>gogaku at ix.netcom.com