Amazon.com; Hummos, Tequila, Rush hour

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 29 05:48:17 UTC 1999

HUMMOS, TEQUILA (continued), RUSH HOUR

    A bunch of random stuff.

HUMMOS:  OED has this from 1955.  This is from STRANGE LANDS AND FRIENDLY
PEOPLE (1951) by William O. Douglas, pg. 198:  _Hummos bithiini_ (Chick peas
with sesame.  Chick peas mashed and mixed with _hummos_ which is diluted and
mixed with olive oil, lemons,  and parsley).

TEQUILA:  OED has a 1965 book cite for "tequila sunrise" and 1966 for
"tequila sour."  The HOUSE & GARDEN, September 1965, pg. 218, "Mexican
drinks," has "Mexican boilermaker" (beer and tequila) in column 3.  Continued
on page 230, col. 2 is Margarita, Tequila Sour, Tequila Sunrise, Tequila
Daisy, Taxco Fizz, (col. 3) Tequila Cocktail, Pina Borracha, Por Mi Amante,
Aztec Punch, (Pg. 231, col. 1) Mexicano Cocktail, Coctel Veracruzana, Pancho
Villa Cocktail, Rompope (or Ronpope), (col. 2) Kahlua, Black Russian, Picador
Cocktail, Kahlua Toreador, Mexican Grasshopper, Xochimilco.

RUSH HOUR:  OED has 1898 (England), then 1907 (US).  This (until I can do
better with the Brooklyn Bridge) is from LEES AND LEAVEN (1903) by Edward W.
Townsend, pg. 155:  The rush hour on the Brooklyn Bridge had not yet begun...

AMAZON.COM (continued)

     I've been the least bit curious that 31 people on Amazon.com would vote
on my NEW YORK review--AND NOT ONE PERSON WOULD CONTACT ME ABOUT IT!
     And I'd constantly check.  Home page there!  E-mail address right there,
available for clicking!
     I went to the NYU Bobst Library today.  I went to Amazon.com, went to
Ric Burns's NEW YORK, went to my review, and clicked on my name.  It said
that I didn't have a member page set up.
     I went home, went to Amazon.com, went to Ric Burns's NEW YORK, went to
my review, and clicked on my name.  My home page is there!
     This is not a joke anymore.
     It's Amazon.com censorship.
     It's news.