gripe from a lurker

Bob Haas highbob at POP.MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Oct 1 20:56:58 UTC 1999

Chuck, this note from the American Heritage Dictionary might help put your mind at
ease:

Usage Note: Historic and historical are differentiated in usage, though their senses
overlap. Historic refers to what is important in history: the historic first voyage
to outer space. It is also used of what is famous or interesting because of its
association with persons or events in history: a historic house. Historical refers
to whatever existed in the past, whether regarded as important or not: a historical
character. Historical refers also to anything concerned with history or the study of
the past: a historical novel; historical discoveries. The differentiation between
the words is not complete. They are often used interchangeably: historic times or
historical times.

FWIW, I've been called on this myself, but that historic(al) episode took place in a
distant enough past for me to have forgotten whether I had any claim to correctness
or not.  Have fun.

--

Bob Haas
Department of English