gripe from a lurker (a/an)

Sat Oct 2 17:28:31 UTC 1999

However we do it, I always find it helpful to point out to students that we
only have two articles in English, and that the 'n' is only for liaison
(they've usually never heard that before!).  Then we can move on to /r/,
/l/, and /t/ liaison (any more?), as in 'draw(r)ing', 'draw(l)ing', and
across(t). They also need (to be) told that for native dialect speakers
these intrusions are always followed by a vowel, and of course I cite the
mis-imitations of JFK's intrusive /r/s which we oldies recall.