North Carolina phrase

Patrick L. Courts courts at AIT.FREDONIA.EDU
Sun Oct 3 16:56:55 UTC 1999

I can't remember if I already posted this listserv, but if I did I
apologize: during a discussion of dialects in one of my classes, one my
students reported that a friend of hers who is teaching in North Carolina
was told by the students that "all Northerners smell like wet sheep."  the
student was not sure the thought that the phrase might not specifically
applied to northern females. do any of you having information about this?

NOTE: My carpal tunnel syndrome has forced me to use a voice program as
much as possible. Since computers are inherently stupid and language is
incredibly complex, voice programs make many errors. Many of the errors
they make are rather unusual: sometimes the program just adds words like
"to, of, the, are, etc." It also makes errors with there/their to-two-too
etc. I try to take care of this with proof reading, but I often miss them
in email. Please excuse such errors.

Patrick L. Courts
Professor
Dept. of English