quest for info/suggestions. re: dialects

Natalie Maynor maynor at RA.MSSTATE.EDU
Mon Oct 4 00:17:18 UTC 1999

>  But I stil cringe when I hear strength
> pronounced "strenth" rather than "straingth" like all normal,

This somehow reminds me of something I've meant to mention before.
Why do so many of the Southern-accent-fakers in movies pronounce
"anything" with the last syllable sounding like "thin"?  I've never
heard any Southerner do that.  We raise the vowel slightly, as one
might expect before a nasal, and we have a strong [ng] (nasal velar).
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)