Greenwich

D. Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 4 02:28:59 UTC 1999

>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>

>Greenwich, England, is [grinwICH] Connecticut, but [grEnICH] Village,

I have lived my whole life in New England and never heard [grinwICH] for the
town in CT, but I found out from LANE that it _was_ the older pronunciation
for that town (by the older speaker from that town).

I think the British pronunciation [grEn..] has since triumphed.

But it is worth pointing out that sometimes the borrowing language (i.e. US)
preserves sounds that the lender language changes in the meantime: in other
words, the Brits may have said [grinwIch] too until well after the colonists
left.

Another couple of CT examples are [nO(r)wIch] on the [THeymz].
(In England, [norIdzh] isn't on the [tEmz].)
Are these spelling-pronunciations or 17th c. relics?

DEJ