quest for info/suggestions. re: dialects

Andrea Vine avine at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon Oct 4 17:03:25 UTC 1999

Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> I am aware of the American pronunciation of Versailles; there's also one in
> Indiana and one in Ohio.  But--since these cities aren't in France, why
> should they be pronounced in French?  The English have anglicized French
> words since the Norman Conquest; why shouldn't we?  Nor do we have to
> follow the BritEng way of pronouncing, or spelling, names: Thus, Greenwich,
> England, is [grinwICH] Connecticut, but [grEnICH] Village, New York; and we

I lived in Connecticut for 10 years and never heard anyone say [grinwICH].  I
have never even been tempted to pronounce it that way.  It sounds like some sort
of organic sandwich (pronounce [SAENich]) which is good for the environment.

Andrea