Versailles, etc.

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Oct 5 09:20:29 UTC 1999

> The Irish have a schwa between /l/ and /m/, so they say "film" as /fil at m/.
> For
> some dialects it seems there is a need for a transition from /l/ to another
> consonant and vice versa.

I can  verify a two-syllable "film" in some Scottish accents, too. Same with
'firm'. Schwa tends to be 'inserted' after liquids.  After /r/, a schwa is
inserted because it's a tap/flap.  Perhaps /l/ is tapped, too.  Perhaps it's
the Irish influence in Glasgow.  I'll keep an ear out.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron          Departments of English Language
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                                      and Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death