Catholic-bashing

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 6 01:28:10 UTC 1999

    It's been said that the current "Sensation" exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art is "Catholic-bashing."
    Mayor Giuliani added a quotation to the American lexicon: "If I can do it, it's not art."  Someone--I forget who--said that the Mayor has added "Catholic-bashing" into the language as well.
   Far from it.
   The Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe has "Catholic-bashing" from the St. Petersburg Times of June 1987, but the real Lexis-Nexis undoubtedly does better.  Dow Jones has it in the Toronto Globe & Mail, 18 November 1985.
   Is all this "bashing" from "gay bashing"?  Anyone keeping any linguistic "bashing" statistics?  What group is bashed the most?