intrusive schwa

Wed Oct 6 13:06:27 UTC 1999

Wait a minute! I wasn't never talking about no first "c." I figgered it
wasn't under discussion. What I mean is I got only one "t" (although the
first "n" and "t" coalesce into a flap) and no FIRST "c." Course I got the
last one - here's the correct pronunciation - aenARtikuh. In rapid speech I
have n-ARtikuh (with a initital syllabic opr at least mora-count nasal),
but I reckon this lexical item and casual rapid speech ain't hanging' out
together too much.

dInIs

>I have both "t"s and the "c":  ant ark tica
>
>At 11:38 AM 10/05/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>>On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>>>
>>> dInIs (who has only one "t" in Antarctica, let alone no "c")
>>>

>>That's the way I pronounce it--is there another way?
>>
>>Allen
>>maberry at u.washington.edu
>>

>Pat
>
>Please Note: I must use a voice software program that sometimes
>mis-translates what I say, or mistakes my breathing for words and inserts
>things like "of, in, the" etc. In the rush of doing e-mail I sometimes miss
>these errors in my proof reading. My apologies.
>

>Patrick L. Courts
>Professor of English
>State University of New York at Fredonia
>Fredonia, NY 14063
>e-mail:  courts at ait.fredonia.edu
>

>http://www.fredonia.edu/department/english/courts/

Dennis R. Preston