pardon this, codger!

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Thu Oct 7 01:58:54 UTC 1999

On Wednesday, October 06, 1999, Natalie Maynor
<maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU> wrote:
>Grant said:
>> However, as we've discussed on this list before, I find that
in
>> New York City, where I live, obscenities are far more common
in
>> everyday speech than they are where I'm from (Missouri).
Meetings,
>> casual conversation, email, music, stage peformances, eks.
>
>Could the difference be one of time rather than of place?  Do
you
>spend enough time in Missouri now to know whether the speech
habits
>are the same as they were when you lived there?
>   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)

Another good question. Answer: I dunno fer sure. However, I have
recently re-made acquaintances with old friends, both still
living in the St. Louis-area, as well as an old friend now working in
DC, and they all give me the eye every time I use one of Jesse
Sheidlower's permutations of my favorite word.

--
Grant Barrett

World New York
http://www.worldnewyork.com/