pardon this, codger!

Patrick L. Courts courts at AIT.FREDONIA.EDU
Thu Oct 7 13:09:07 UTC 1999

as the story goes, Mark Twain let off a string of obscenities well shaving.
His beloved wife, Olivia, who disliked his use of obscenities, stood at
the, bathroom door, repeated the words to him, and said, "what you think
that?" Mark Twain responded, "My dear, you have the lyrics right but the
melody is all wrong."

In short, this is really a discourse issue.

NOTE: My carpal tunnel syndrome has forced me to use a voice program as
much as possible. Since computers are inherently stupid and language is
incredibly complex, voice programs make many errors. Many of the errors
they make are rather unusual: sometimes the program just adds words like
"to, of, the, are, etc." It also makes errors with there/their to-two-too
etc. I try to take care of this with proof reading, but I often miss them
in email. Please excuse such errors.

Patrick L. Courts
Professor
Dept. of English