Glamis

William H. Smith wh5mith at ATL.MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Oct 8 01:23:08 UTC 1999

Does anyone know the "correct" (i.e. Scottish) pronunciation of "Glamis" (as
in _Macbeth_)?  My sense is [glaemIs], but I have no idea why; the spelling
indicates [glemIs].  If my sense is correct, why is it?
On a similar subject, what about the lax stressed vowel in words like
"finish"?  Was it laxed because when borrowed the stress was on the second
syllable (French "finisse") and thus laxed, and later anglicized?