Page-jack

Ken Miller bookrat at BOOKRAT.COM
Fri Oct 8 19:07:58 UTC 1999

At 9:53 PM -0700 10/6/99, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>   All the hits on Deja.com date from 22 September 1999 or later.  The FTC's
>Bureau of Consumer Protection (you know, the folks who took my Amazon.com
>complaint and never responded) recently announced that it's cracking down on
>"page-jacking"--copying innocent web pages so that they point visitors to
>adults-only sites.  "Page-jack" is from web "page" and "hijack."

David Weinberger, in his Journal of the Hyperlinked Organization, has
coined a couple of interesting "jack" phrases.

First, there's "frame-jacking", which happens when "someone radically
misunderstands context"; the term is casually mentioned in the 25 Nov. 1998
edition, and expounded upon in the 15 Dec. 1998 edition.

http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-nov25-98.html
http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-dec15-98.html

More recently (30 Sept. 1999) there's "time jacking", "when somebody or
some system takes control of your time, and just won't let go."

http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-sept30-99.html

Ken "Doesn't know jack" Miller
Partridge School of Gentle Arts