Cheese, Cheesecake, and Peanut Butter

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Tue Oct 12 03:27:45 UTC 1999

On Monday, October 11, 1999, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    BON APPETIT magazine, September 1999--as previously posted
>here--stated that "peanut butter" was invented at the St. Louis
World's Fair in 1904.
>    The OED (not exactly hiding from BON APPETIT editors) has
1903.
>    The Making of America database also has a 1903 hit.
>    The OCLC WorldCat database has:

I believe I've always been told (fellow Missourian) George
Washington Carver invented peanut butter. After looking around just
now, I can see it's not true. This page gives a couple solid names
to search for if you're really interested http://www.peanutbutterl
overs.com/History/index.html

By the way, it gives 1890 and the name of St. Louisan George A.
Bayle Jr as the source for the modern version of peanut butter.

--
Grant Barrett

World New York
http://www.worldnewyork.com/