more on badasses

Wed Oct 13 00:30:09 UTC 1999

Yes, Larry is right about the inflection in the form cited, and that was
what I had in mind as evidence about its "separateness" (or homonymy" as
Larry says).

The stress rule I gave works lots of times (as Larry notes) but not only
doesn't from time to time (he is right), but also doesn't work
cross-dialectally, but prosody (except for poorly documented interest in
Southern front-shift stuff, never carefully looked at) is woefully ignored
in US dialect research. For example, lots of items larry cites are
"properly" compound stressed fo me, but that may be "contamination" from
the Southern Shift rule (which, as I noted, is poorly understood).

dInIs (who would stress damn near every item Larry cited "correctly,"
although, oddly, not "child prodigy" or "class reunion" [except in the odd
sense of working-class folk getting together]. but I know speakers who
would. AAAAAARGH! My dialect may be contaminated! Help me, hep me, hep
me......

Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics and Languages