Snickerdoodle; Duffy

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 20 08:49:54 UTC 1999

SNICKERDOODLE

    A cookie store has begun offering snickerdoodles (cinnamon cookies).  I
couldn't find this in Flexner's LISTENING TO AMERICA or I HEAR AMERICA
TALKING, or the DICTIONARY OF AMERICANISMS.  I also couldn't find a good
"snickerdoodle origin" web page, although there are a few recipes.  The
Tamony files contain a "snickerdoodle" entry.
   If "s'mores" can enter a dictionary, surely we can raise a "snickerdoodle"
case.  Does anyone know who made the first batch and who named them?

DUFFY (continued)

   From TIME magazine, 12 November 1965, pg. 75, col. 2:

   In the main, bonecrushing defense has been the key to Michigan State's
success.  "Football is not a contact sport," Daugherty tells his players.
"It is a collision sport.  Dancing is a contact sport."

   A photo caption reads: Football is not a contact sport.  Dancing is a
contact sport.
   The QUOTATIONARY credits the phrase to Vince Lombardi, citing James
Michener's SPORTS IN AMERICA (1976).  That should now be changed to Duffy
Daugherty.

PERSONAL

   I will be in Mexico October 21-November 12, visiting Mexico City, Puebla,
Cacaxtla, Oaxaca, Monte Alban, Mitla, Veracruz, El Tajin, Teotihuacan,
Toluca, Patzcuaro, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, San Miguel, Cancun, Chichen Itza,
Merida, Uxmal, and Kabah.
   My internet opportunities will probably be limited.