Snickerdoodles

Julia Van Nutt cobtown at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Oct 21 18:14:24 UTC 1999

 From the great James A. Beard's classic _James Beard's American
Cookery_,1972: "In the middle to late nineteenth century regional
cookbooks these appear under many names. The earliest church society
cookbooks from the Hudson River region call them Schnecken Noodles,
Schneckenoodles, or Snecke Noodles. Lower Midwest cookbooks,
especially those of Kentucky and Missouri, list them as
Snickerdoodles. Most recipes differ very little from crinkle cookies.
Some recipes include 3/4 cup raisins with the sifted flour mixture."
        Thanks for bringing this gem to our attention. We may include
a Snickerdoodle recipe in one of our forthcoming "Cobtown" books.
Hope the above helps.
Robert Van Nutt