michigan handshake

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Mon Oct 25 19:58:09 UTC 1999

        My wife points out to me that Ann Landers, in the column that
appeared in this past Sunday's Daily News, advised a man to dump an
unsatisfactory fiancee in these words:
        "If she goes back on her word, give her a Michigan handshake and
start looking for [her replacement]."
        I'm not familiar with this term, and don't find it in RHHDAS.  If it
is at all widespread, I wouldn't doubt that there are variants.  The
phrase a "Michigan bankroll" -- the largest bill one can lay hands
on, wrapped around as many single one can muster -- is known to me as
a "Coney Island bankroll".

        By the way, "Coney Island bankroll" makes perfect sense, given Coney
Island's formerly well-deserved reputation for raffishness and low
life.  But why Michigan?  Part of the state may be filled with
hustlers and chisellers who need to make a small roll look like a
large one, but why not specify that part?  Just asking.

GAT