Pupek (was: Mexican automobiles)

Tue Oct 26 18:33:18 UTC 1999

<...a lot of Czech--mainly colloquial--words do (either from
Yiddish or from German).>>

Hmmm. Given the nature of antisemitism over the past couple thousand years
(and the nature of borrowing back and forth between minority and majority
languages), my guess is that Yiddish (which is bsically Germanic anyway) gets
more from Slavic and German than vice versa.

I've since checked on the Russian and learned that PUPA (or something like
it) is the Russian word for 'navel'. So, it looks like PUPEK is Slavic; the
German is DAS NABEL, so it is hard to see where Yiddish would have got PUPEK
except from Slavic. (Not Hebrew, I'd think.)