PU

Wed Oct 27 16:14:58 UTC 1999

My memory might be fading on this, so perhaps we said "Ooey," but I'm sure
we said "Pyooey" (with a [j].  But in either case, it's interesting that
the first part inverts the logical "eeyoo."  However, the Thai connection
sounds like a later urban-myth kind of justification to me.  We in
Bloomington used the phrase condescendingly in the early days of the branch
(sorry!), but as IUPUI has grown I suspect the acronym is used less, esp.
at the branch itself.  In fact, I just asked my younger colleague from
IU/Blgtn, and he said he only heard it spelled out.