P.U.

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Oct 27 20:07:25 UTC 1999

Robert Van Nutt <cobtown at MINDSPRING.COM> asks

Can anyone give an early (19th century or before) citation for "PU!"
being used as an exclamation when detecting an offensive odor? It is
an expression that I remember from my childhood in New Jersey. My
wife, who grew up in North Carolina, has no such recollections. No
doubt, it is derived from "phew!" Has anyone ever seen it in the form
"P.U.!"?
<<<<<

NYC childhood, late fifties. Said very emphatically, strong stress and
prolongation on the /yu:/; often with nose-holding that someone else has
mentioned, but not necessarily.

Come to think of it, my maternal GRANDMOTHER used it; she was born NYC ca. 1888
and lived there all her life. I don't recall her holding her nose with it,
though; that was among kids, IIRC.

Yes, I've seen it written "P.U.". Can't give you a cite, though.

-- Dr. Whom: Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel