Black Maria again

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Wed Oct 27 23:16:47 UTC 1999

        A German-speaking friend tells me that in German slang, the vehicle
known in English as the "Black Maria" is called Grune Minna = Green
Minny.  It seems that it dates from 1870.  This is an interesting
parallel with the English term: a color word modifing a woman's name.
 Are there similarly parallel terms in any other languages?  My
comrade whose ABD in French only knows a word (which I can't recall
right now) which means "salad basket".  Another friend who went to
high school in Spain didn't know of any slang term at all in
penisular Spanish.  No doubt there is one, and she just ran with a
genteel crowd.

GAT