University abbrev. & sim.

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Oct 28 17:41:14 UTC 1999

"Michael K. Gottlieb" <michael.gottlieb at YALE.EDU> writes:

Yale undergraduates have found that the acronym for their health service
says it all--DUH for Department of Undergraduate Health.  The University
has tried to change the title to Yale University Health Services, but
"DUH" has an amazing sticking quality.
<<<<<

At Earlham College, in Richmond, Ind., where my son is a freshman this year, the
food service is called "Saga". Officially it's "Sodexho-Marriott" (a curious
item in itself), so why...?

Well, it *used* to be provided by a company called Saga, up till about 1990 +/-
4 years. A co-worker of mine who is an Earlham alumnus tells me that when he
arrived in 1986 it was Saga, and when he graduated in 1994 (with a four-year
leave in the middle) the service was provided by S-M (oh, my, try to save
keystrokes and see what happens!)-- or at least Marriott-- but the dining hall
itself and the food service were still *called* Saga. And so it remains even
unto this day.

   Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist and Manager of Acoustic Data
         Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Dragon Systems, Inc.
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
                     (speaking for myself)