VIPS (more Mexican food)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 28 22:24:10 UTC 1999

    Greetings from Puebla, Mexico, home of the western hemisphere´s oldest library.
    There is a Nopal salad (cactus salad) that contains cheese, tomato, avocado, and onion--no cactus!
    VIPS is a chain of restaurants, the Denny's of Mexico.  There is an English menu.
    VIPS offers several breakfasts:
CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST--everyone knows which continent!
COUNTRY BREAKFAST--includes sausage.
MEXICAN BREAKFAST--includes tortillas, beans, etc.
AMERICAN BREAKFAST--includes pancakes or waffles.
NORTENO BREAKFAST--includes shredded beef.
UNIVERSITY BREAKFAST--includes beans and a roll.
COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST--includes ¨divorciados" eggs.  The "divorced" eggs are eggs sunnyside up, separated on the grill.
     VIPS offers ¨hot or iced tea."
     "Tres Marias" is chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream that VIPS says is "The traditional creation of the '50s.  A favorite among the young and old."
    "Swiss enchiladas" (enchiladas Suizas) includes cream, melted cheese, green tomato, and chicken.  I asked my guide if they use Swiss cheese; he said they don't.  So why is it Swiss?  I didn't see them in Switzerland!!!