lower mathematics

Fri Oct 29 16:27:11 UTC 1999

Harumph! Ron's observations are correct if them danged yuppies mean to say
that A2 is a notational variant of AA (and not the product of A2 [or AA]),
but I will have to send fieldworkers there to see if they understand the
concept "notational variant." I ain't takin no bets.

dInIs (a notational variant of "Dennis")

>I don't understand DInIs's problem here. "A-squared" = "A times A." In
>algebraic notion, one can write "A x A", "A[dot]A," or just "AA" to indicate
>the square of "A." So why isn't "A2" exactly right (if the "2" is written as
>a superscript)?
>
>I know DInIs is a whiz at statistics, but has he forgotten lower math?

>A2 (actually A+superscript 2) or "a-squared," somehow meant to mean
>"AA." If they had come to The Moo U they would have learnt better math
>skills. (If A=A, what squaring operation will yield the string AA? 0X0=0,
>1X1=1, 2+2=4 ....).

Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics and Languages