Sweaters

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Fri Oct 29 22:23:51 UTC 1999

Sweaters.  But the reason I write is to note that until you raised this
question the etymological association of "sweater" with perspiration never
entered my mind.  I always thought of a sweatshirt as something worn when
engaging in sweaty activity, but in about half a century of using the word
"sweater" I just thought of it as a fuzzy woolly thing to to keep me
warm.  The (now) obvious fact that "sweater" comes from "sweat" just as
much as "sweatshirt" does (though a whole lot more recently) is an
epiphany!

James E. Clapp